> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > How Big?
Login | Register

How Big?

Posted by Dave on August 9th, 2000 12:06 PM
In reply to Installing new foundation vent (through cinderblock and brick) by mikeb on August 9th, 2000 11:02 AM [Go to top of thread]

I don't know how big the vent is... If you want to chisel out a small section (smaller than a whole cinder block) then you would use a star-drill. A star-drill is a chisel that has a star shape instead of a flat edge (.. looks like * , instead of - .) You hammer, turn, hammer, turn to make a hole. If you're doing a bigger section, you'll be taking out entire blocks as well as cutting some blocks in half (best to use a circular saw with a masonry bit to cut the outline on both sides of the wall and then sledgehammer out the hole.)

You'll probably want to trim the hole you create with pressure treated 1x6 (...or 2x8? . how thick is the wall?)

I'm not sure if you need a header on the top of the opening... If it's in the middle of the wall (heightwise), then yes definitely - if it's at the top of the wall, I'm not sure - the sill plate may be adequate, depending upon how wide the opening is and where the floor joists fall. (Check how the basement windows are done.)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC