> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > House Wrap
Login | Register

House Wrap

Posted by Steve Jones on July 14th, 2000 08:54 PM
In reply to INSULATION - WHAT'S THE BEST? by ANNETTE on July 14th, 2000 05:10 PM [Go to top of thread]

On the exterior of your home on the wall studs, are you using a Tyvek type home wrap? This is your first line of defence and this stuff is great. Are your wall studs 2 x 4 or 2 x 6's? If its not too late, and the budget allows, 2 x 6's allow more inbetween insulation.

I have always felt, in my opinion, that blown in insulation is not as good as batts. Blown, eventually will settle and need blown in again. Considering the amount of settling blown does, then think about blown in walls? This will settle so much that it is useless.

In summary, I would insist on a good Tyvek type house wrap, then a very very very miticulous job of caulking. you could be the caulking police patrol since you are watching the home go up day by day.

i live in Dallas, so good luck to you and watch that humidity. used to hunt snow geese in Katy during the early 70's. Had alot of fun in those rice stubbles. But, I heard that they are gone and the city is very big. So much for good old hunting grounds.

Steve Jones

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC