> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Hot mop, old school.
Login | Register

Hot mop, old school.

Posted by Raymond VinZant Plm Prof on December 26th, 2002 05:54 PM
In reply to hot mop shower??? by michael on December 26th, 2002 01:30 PM [Go to top of thread]

3 of 4 people found this post helpful

Moderator Post (s) for this thread:
> shower pan by doug seibert on 04/03/2007

Personally I prefer a different route. If i'm going to go with a tile base, I use a pvc or vinal liner, instead of the old tar and tarpaper which does not last very long. The first thing to do is to install a special drain with weep holes and a flange for inserting the liner onto the existing drain. The bottom of the flange should set flush with the floor surface. A layer of grout (concrete) is poured and sloped from the outside walls towards the drain, and should be at the lowest 1 inch thick. It should slope 1/4 inch to the foot. On top of this against the rough stud walls, you lay the vinal pan liner, it should extend up the walls at least 6 inches and roll over the front curb. Unscrew the top of the shower drain ring and install the liner under the weep flange. The liner is nailed to the outside stud walls and folded in the corners. It should not be cut. Once this is in and secured, Install the concrete board down the walls over the PVC liner to the base of the shower. When this is finished, pour another layer of concrete at least 2 inches thick as a base for the tile. This concrete should be sloped to the drain, which screws up to the right height. The drain should be just the thickness of the tile and grout above the finished concrete.
This is a basic design.
Good Luck

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC