> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Homework
Login | Register

Posted by Henry in MI--Friday the 13th's Special Moderator on July 9th, 2001 09:19 PM
In reply to Using stripper for your floors...bad idea =;-( by Daniel Roberts on July 9th, 2001 02:49 AM [Go to top of thread]

Sorry, Daniel, but I can take some kind of exception to about everything you wrote. And, yes, I have been there, done that, and got lots of tee shirts. Let's go with a brief list:

Peel Away stripper works great on a million layers of old paint on moldings, at least it did on my daughters cherry moldings in her 160 year old house. It is a little expensive but so are planer blades when you miss finding a nail or other metal. Hint--it helps to be lazy.

Scott's program is right on for floors except if he would have rented a belt sander he could have saved a lot of work. Flexing the belt gets the paint and sawdust out and it levels a floor better than a vibrating sander--or gouges it if you are not careful.

"GET SOME QUOTES" on what? Did you check to be sure the quotes were from reputitable people? There are a lot of cheats out there. And what kind of poly did you put down and over what kind of poly? Or was it something else? Do you know ? Generally, you get what you pay for, especially if you do your homework or don't!

Dan, I really don't want to make you mad and you are certainly welcome to your opinions. Please feel free to disagree without being disagreeable. You have your ideas, and it sounds like, some experience. And we all don't have the same time and money freedom or constraints or experience. If we all had the same idea, you would have only had one color of paint on your moldings. Bet you didn't. But, by the way, did you think about lead in old paint?

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC