> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Home Depot Revisited
Login | Register

Home Depot Revisited

Posted by Alnamvet on January 13th, 2003 03:34 AM

Though I have not had any issues with Home Depot, I was concerned by how costs for installation of carpeting and wood flooring can get out of control; specifically, I wanted carpeting in three bedrooms upstairs, Pergo laminate in the kitchen and breakfast area...figure out the SF/SY, add cost of mat'ls plus installation, add taxes, and I'm done; NO...they charge $25.00 to move each appliance in the kitchen since I specified Pergo wall to wall; additionally, they want $100.00 to remove vinyl flooring (which BTW is 6 months old and not glued down...wood sub-floor is free of defects), otherwise they would install over vinyl floor (like painting over wallpaper...tacky; cost for wood transition pieces were exorbitant (!$45 per 36" piece)and there was a $60 charge for someone to come to my home to take measurements (apparently my blue print measurements cannot be trusted. In the end, I went to a local carpet discounter who agreed that the sales price on the Pergo and Berber were indeed excellent, but I was getting it in the "end", and he agreed to do the job for the same HD advertised price plus tax, and no more...removal of old vinyl and old carpet, moving of appliances, additional charge.
I find HD convenient for many things (much like having a 7-11 close by), but I am disappointed in how they drew me in with a low-ball price, only to be inundated with so many bogus costs...the experience was not much different from buying a new car....

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC