> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Hold On ...
Login | Register

Hold On ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on August 23rd, 2001 11:16 AM
In reply to Scratch on Hardwood Floors by Brian Mlynek on August 23rd, 2001 10:47 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Brian,

Usually, I try to wait for some of the 'other Follow-uppers' to answer Posts but in your case, I wanted to get to you as soon as possible.

Sometimes, it's best to wait about a week before you move back into the room. This lets the poly harden up for a while w/o any 'weight' on it. Sure, after a week, when you move the unit back into the room, you're gonna see slight 'depressions' in the poly. This is normal BUT you'd have them less noticible if you waited a while. IF POSSIBLE, hold off on moving the heavier furniture back into the room. Buy the appropriate 'pads' for your furniture's feet. (Read on - You can cut what I refer to to size ...)

As far as 'how' to repair the floor, you'll want to ctc. the Mfgr. of the floor to order their Minor Repair Kit. It has the proper stain and sealer/poly for the job. Mfgrs. vary in the materials used so if you want to get the CLOSEST match possible, get the kit from the Mfgr. (Perhaps the Floor Retailer has it. If you know which Mfgr. made your floor, I'm SURE they have a WEB site ...)

And lastly, consider using VINYL-backed 'runners' in high traffic areas of the house. These, along w/the same vinyl-backed rugs at doorways and such, will DEFINITLEY prolong the life of your floor. NEVER lay a 'raw' carpet or material on the floor w/o having it backed w/the vinyl backing SPECIFICALLY used on hardwood floors. ANY movement, no matter how slight, w/an UNBACKED material will scratch the floor's finish! If this scratching (no matter how minor) were to occur over time, eventually it will 'attack' the hardwood itself and start scratching the wood! Before you know it, you'll be wondering why the area under your rug(s) are 'ruined' when the areas NOT under your rug are OK.

The largest vinyl-backed runners I've seen, where the backing is PRE-sewn, come in 5' lengths. Obviously, if you need more 'footage', buy what you need. The doormats come in a variety of lengths and widths. Even K-Mart has them. Now, if you're considering the use of Area Rugs, you can buy the backing SEPARATELY and cut it to fit the size of your rug. It's BEST to have some 'weighted furniture' (like coffee tables and/or a chair or 2) holding the rug (and backing) in place. If not, what tends to happen is the rug begins to 'migrate' off of the backing (because the backing WON'T move), and then it can start scratching the finish at the edges. If your area rugs are in the OPEN (and not necessarily held in place), you just have to keep your eye on the rug and backing. YOu can cut so that EACH side has 1/2" of rug hanging over the backing. This way, you won't see the backing, and if you DO, you need to 're-position' the rug.

And lastly, one of the biggest enemies of hardwood floors is direct sunlight. Yes, it looks BEAUTIFUL when the sun shines in. ANd yes, the poly has UV protectant in it BUT it will still fade over time under these conditions. Consider UV protecting windows, porch overhangs, shade, and sheer or curtains, to help protect your floor. If not, then over time, the floor will fade, and when you go to move your furniture around, you'll see 'light and dark' areas due to UV 'damage'.

I know I've said a lot. Find some GOOD info on the care of hardwood floors and you'll read, basically, the same thing. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

• mask it by Mongo  8/25/01 08:14 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC