> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Hmmmm ...
Login | Register

Hmmmm ...

Posted by Jay J on July 16th, 1999 08:32 AM
In reply to air in cold water pipes by paul on July 15th, 1999 03:58 PM [Go to top of thread]

I'm not a plumber but I've only experienced your 'problem' only after I've shut off the supply line(s) to drain my pipe(s) (to do some plumbing) and turned them back on (when finished). When I shut off the supply line, I open up the 'bleeder valve' to allow the water on the 'up side' of the shut-off to run out, thus, emptying the pipe I want to work on. Of course, air replaces the water when it drains. When the water is turned back on, the air is pushed out (as you know) and you get that spurting sound.

Now, I'm on public water so I have good pressure all the time (on a good day). If you're on well water, I could see where you may have the problem I'm about to describe. When the water system is completely open and in use and with pressure, to only way I can see this happening is maybe you have a leak somewhere between your pump and the furthest faucet in the system. I'm gonna assume you have well water. Let's say, for example, you open your line, the pump comes on, some air comes out, and you do your thing. Then, you shut off the water and the pump stops. In the meantime, an hour goes buy before ANYONE (including yourself) opens up a faucet. During that hour's time, water in the line has slowly been pushed out by back pressure somewhere between your pump and the faucet furthest from the pump. Ta-da! When the water is out of the line (at whatever point that is), and air is allowed in.

If you're on public water, I haven't a clue as to what's going on with your system. It may be worth contacting the Water Company because, perhaps, THEY have a leak somewhere. Perhaps you want to post-up more info like what is your water source, what is the water pressure to the house (you can buy a pressure gauge for a few $$$ at Home Depot or something that screws onto your outside hose faucet to test the pressure), and whether is only the cold faucets ALL THE TIME or whether you hot ones have the problem too. For now, my best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC