> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > hmmmm.....
Login | Register

Posted by Moderator, Steve on November 19th, 2002 06:20 PM
In reply to new wrought iron railings showing rust by Jackie on November 19th, 2002 02:57 PM [Go to top of thread]

well wrought iron and galvanized are two different animals. Then too, you could have regular metal nuts and bolts and they are rusting which lends you to the assumption that its the railings.

Then too, to save costs, maybe the inside of the railings is or has not been rust protected and this is indeed what is happening.

Then in installation, if the powder paint was chipped and not re painted or touched up, that area will indeed rust.

Now, I do not think you got galvanized railings as you asked. Galvanization of metal will prohibit all rust. I think you have wrought iron metal with a powder flake paint.

Living on the Gulf myself and having a place not 50 feet off the Gulf, I know that any metal eventually will rust if not cared for and protected. Salt is visious on metals.

I would take a piece of your railing to a metaluralists and ask him/her what this actually is. Then when you find out, read what you asked for from the railing person then sort it all out.

I really hate to jump on some poor Joe on something that I cannot see and something that I only know about in the text sense.
You know what I mean?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

• Thanks by Jackie  11/20/02 04:16 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC