> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Hmmmm ..
Login | Register

Hmmmm ..

Posted by Jay J on June 19th, 2000 03:57 PM
In reply to asbestos by Sally Sanchez on June 19th, 2000 03:10 PM [Go to top of thread]


I'm no expert in asbestos removal, mfgr., or installation but for starters, it's OK (in my book) to be a bit cautious. However, in this particular case, the asbestos is 'solid' (from the description I"m reading.) Hence, it's OK to touch it and such as long as you're not handling children or licking your fingers. (A simple washing of the hands will clean whatever residue there is on your hands.)

Moving right along, once a piece of material is in hand, it can be safely transported. For example, cement-asbestos-shingles contain no more than 1% asbestos. As long as you're not smashing them with a hammer and inhaling the stuff downwind, you're OK to handle it. Yes, one should know what they're working with, and within that framework, appropriate precautions should be taken. ON the other hand, if one is working with a friable (or 'loose, fiber asbestos'), then a professional should be consulted. That's why it's important to get what you have indentified first.

As for the Removal Standards, they're out there. Again, it depends on what you have. If you have a particular material identified, post up and we'll try to get you the necessary info.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

  • Aspestos by Leslie  6/19/00 10:02 AM
  • asbestos by Sally Sanchez  6/19/00 03:10 PM

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC