> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Hmmmm ...
Login | Register

Hmmmm ...

Posted by Jay J on March 28th, 2000 09:01 AM
In reply to first step? by ray on March 27th, 2000 08:15 PM [Go to top of thread]

Without a doubt, this is a big job. IMO, I'd start with the outside, working my way in. The kitchen, followed by the flooring, would be last.

And when you start outside, you need to first-and-foremost, eliminate the conditions in which the termites thrive! If you don't, well, you can see what happens. Hopefully, you had the home inspected by an ASHI-approved Home INspector. These inspectors are allowed to estiamte the cost of repairs and make recommendations. If you didn't have the house inspected, get an ASHI-Approved Inspector right away. You'll spend a few hundred $$$ but what's that compared to the $$$ you'll spend in the mortgage OR in the cost of repairs down the road?! In short, just do it.

You need to eliminate the moisture/water issues. (The ASHI inspector will tell you how.) You need to remove/fix damaged wood. (The Inspector will tell you how.) And, you need to have the landscape, gutters, downspouts, and such inspected for proper water control.

Moderate funds are not gonna get you far on this one if you don't want to ever see those termites again. Belive me, they WILL try again despite the preventative measures taken. (The key is 'try', and if they succeed, we'll be hearing from you again.) The most immediate thing you can have done is the Home Inspection. It will point out the 'issues' and give excellent guidance on the resolutions. Being a little handy will help. You don't have to be a pro to do the 'little things'. I wish I could say more. Read my post on Termites-Termites-Termites for how to start addressing this problem. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC