> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Hmmm
Login | Register

Posted by Jim -ATS on June 26th, 2000 03:48 PM
In reply to Installing an Electrical Outlet by Justin Busche on June 26th, 2000 08:24 AM [Go to top of thread]

Moderator Post (s) for this thread:
> Patrick...... by doug seibert on 12/21/2005

Electricity is a nasty monster to underestimate. The NEC as I understand it requires a dedicated 15 amp circuit for the microwave in new construction (I am NOT an electrician, so I may be wrong here, but the dedicated circuit is at least very common in my area.)

For you, you don't describe what your walls are made of, if you happen to have outlets near the overhead cabinets that you could snake some flexible conduit through in an unobtrusive way, etc. For a dedicated 15 amp circuit, you have to create a home-run back to the panel, which probably isn't practical in your Chicago high rise. Given you don't do this sort of thing every day, and the headache involved is more than I would do myself, I would probably kick in for the $85-160 or so it will take and have a pro do it. The nice thing about that is if he has problems or makes a mistake, he is the one who has to fix it. If you burn something up doing it yourself, YOU get to fix it.

Make sure that in taking on this sort of thing that you aren't violating any covenants or ordinances of your building or governmental jursidiction. You never know, and it's better to know ahead of the fact instead of after you have completed the work.

Good luck!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC