> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > High water table and drainage ditch!
Login | Register

High water table and drainage ditch!

Posted by Craig H on October 24th, 1999 12:55 PM
In reply to Water in crawl space by Bruce M on April 23rd, 1998 11:01 PM [Go to top of thread]

4 of 4 people found this post helpful

I'm about to dig a posthole and try your suggestion. We have a similar but probably more severe problem. I'm almost positive that the water table is higher than our crawl space floor by about 6". I'll find out in the next few days and send an update. Our house, which we purchased 1 year ago, has a drainage ditch (creek for 6-8 months of the year) within 10 feet of one corner of the foundation. There is a pump under the house which runs pumps water out of the well every ten or fifteen minutes soon after heavy rainfall. It will continue pumping until spring. If the pump stops working during heavy wet season (Seattle) I have 4-6 " of water in the crawl space, mostly underneath the plastic but some areas around the foundation have eroded and puddle fairly easily. There is only one drain field running straight down the middle of the crawl to the well located near the creek end of the house. In the dead of winter I can see water coming in under the foundation near the pump, probably due to the nearby creek flow. The creek bed is nearly equal to the crawl space height. I tested the downspout drainage this summer by running a garden hose through a couple of gutters for about an hour each. Did not find any evidence of water in the crawl after that test so I think (?) I have eliminated that as part of the problem.
#1 I am concerned for the integrity of the foundation with water being able to dig underneath it. The wood seems to be in very good shape. There is plently of space under the house so I suppose that I could have the crawl floor filled in by about 12" or so, and maybe raise the drainfield and add to it.
#2 the people we bought the place from lied to us about the water problems and I think I can prove it. He said that the pump only needs to be turned on during very heavy rainfall. Actually the pump has to run constantly all fall and winter long or the space fills up. Any ideas where I can find help for evaluation? Can I get free aid or guidance from my city or county government on something like this or am I on my own?
Any recommendations for where I can start looking for legal advice?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC