> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Hi Kelly
Login | Register

Hi Kelly

Posted by Spencer Davis on December 21st, 2002 05:58 PM
In reply to how do i make a brick? by Katie on October 24th, 2002 05:42 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

Moderator Post (s) for this thread:
> Brickmaking assignment: LINK by doug seibert on 09/11/2006
> Try this Link: by doug seibert on 11/19/2006

Hi there,

So you want to make a brick:-) ok. Well, I do know that it is made out of clay, sand, and water.

Clay is sticky. If you go in your back yard, the dirt you see is called back dirt. About 10" below that is clay or sand. Probably clay. So, find a can (like an empty coffee can). Take 3 scoops of this. Now, go out to Home depot and get some play sand (or get it from the beach etc..) take one scoop of this. Mix is together with some water until it is able to stand up on its own but still sticky. Also, it you can get a couple pieces of staw, cut them in about 1" pieces (about 1 tablespoon) and mix this with that ratio.

Now, you need a form. Just take an empty milk carton or anything . A good idea is to use a bread pan. Just make sure that you dust a little of the sand in the form so that the brick can come out. Standard size for a brick is about 3 5/8" deep, 2 1/4" high, 8" long. A brick that is called a modular sized brick is 7 5/8" long. This is because a bricklayer will use a mortar joint of 3/8". So mortar joint plus length will be 8".

Now, you want to put it out in the sun to dry. Probably hard to find sun at this time of year.
I suppose you can probably put your oven on about 150 degrees (not higher than that because you don't want your brick to explode).

I am not actually sure how safe this is. Maybe if you kept the door open on a low 150degree temp for a couple of hours that would dry it out a little bit.

The name of this type of brick is called adobe brick. It is used to build an adobe home usually found in Mexico.

Good luck and please be careful if you plan to dry it out in the oven. Usually, these types of brick are dryed by the Sun. It takes about a day or so I think.

Here is a link to another site.

Just search the internet on google with search words like this: clay how to make brick sand

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC