> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Hi Jay.....
Login | Register

Hi Jay.....

Posted by Barbara on March 9th, 2001 07:09 PM
In reply to More ... by Jay J -Moderator on March 9th, 2001 08:18 AM [Go to top of thread]

Well, live & learn....I'll certainly know how to do this the next time.

Here's what happened today.. and this was first thing this morning, before I read your most recent message: went over to Lowe's, which is where I started this thing at...and by the way, the paint that I purchased, although I have no other reference to go by...seemed to work fairly well. I purchased the Loew's brand: American Tradition & One & Only. Anyway back to today...I was told to leave everything alone until at least Monday. I painted, primed and painted all in 3 it was recommended that I let it all "cure". So far so good... and anyway I really did not feel like painting the ceiling again this weekend!! After Monday...lightly sandpaper where I primed (remember I used the oil based Kilz and it is showing through), wipe it all down with a damp cloth...and then prime the whole ceiling with a latex primer. Let that sit 1 to 2 days and then paint the ceiling with a flat paint. The painter man at Lowe's said that "roughing up" the ceilng with the sandpaper before I reprime will diminish the "shiny" effect that is showing through. And using the flat paint will also help with any other imperfections.

As to the walls where I have only primed with the same Kilz oil based the same thing with the sandpaper...reprime and then paint with the satin finish wall paint. I understand why painters earn the money that they do!! I've learned a new respect for those guys...

Jay, if there is anything else that you think I need to do...let me know. I figure between what I've learned here from both you and Steve...Loew's, and any friends that I thought had the slightest knowledge about painting whose brain I picked...I should be good to go. I'm going to paint with my fingers crossed!! Only kidding!!

The only other thing that I was going to mention was this...and this is completely off-topic: I visited one of the websites that you recommended about household cleaning and it comes from Stockton College. Are you familiar with that school? The site had some good information...I've bookmarked it for further reference if I ever need to.

Well, that's about it for today...will keep you updated.

Thanks again a million times for the help.

Painter Barb

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC