> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Hey Bruce M - Re: Finishing My Basement
Login | Register

Hey Bruce M - Re: Finishing My Basement

Posted by Robert K on January 5th, 1998 12:12 PM

Hey Bruce M
I noticed that you are one of the most knowledgeable around these parts. I am hoping you could help me out. I plan on starting a new project in the next few weeks to finish off my basement. I live in the northeast and as you know the weather changes like a womans moods. In the summer the basement is damp and mold grows on what ever is in the room. I saw your advise to someone else about putting up a vapor barrier before framing and wanted to ask you a question ion regards to that advise. Currently there is some sort of paint on the block walls and the previous owner had also painted the concrete floor. The walls have some mold and the paint on the floors is peeling off. Should I put down a vapor barrier in the floor and then lay down pressure treated 2X4's and my plywood? Should I put something over the walls (like dry loc) before I put the vapor barrier up. Doesn't the vapor barrier go up after the walls have been framed and the insulation has been put in? Also I do not have anyway to get airconditioning down to the basement so I will have top install a dehumidifier, I plan on making three seperate rooms down there do I need a dehumidifiere for each room? Anything I should know about venting??? I would appreciate all the information you can give so I don't have to redo anything else in the future!!!!

Thanks in advance....... Bob K

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC