> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > here ya go...
Login | Register

here ya go...

Posted by jb on March 26th, 2001 04:36 PM
In reply to Insulation of Cathedral Ceiling Addition by jeff on March 26th, 2001 01:44 PM [Go to top of thread]

You need soffit vents or drip edge vent on the bottom, ridge vent at the top to provide adequate ventilation. Then you need "vent keepers" which are styrofoam or plastic (inexpensive) extrusions that staple (small staples - 1/4" - from a hand staple gun) to the underside of the roof sheathing (plywood) so that the air can circulate from the soffit to the ridge. Without vent keepers the insulation goes al the way to the sheathing and doesn't allow ventilation. Then fill the bays with paper faced insulation with the paper facing the inside, stapling the paper to the undersides of the rafters. The paper will act as a vapor barrier. I personally prefer to install unfaced insulation and use a poly vapor barrier. Hopefully you will end up with over 8" of insulation. Otherwise, you might want to "build down" your ceiling to be able to add more insulation. Don't forget to wire in at least one ceiling fan circuit while you still can. If the room is much bigger than 20' x 20' you might want two fans. Without a fan, a lot of the heat will stay up at the top of the room and the room will feel uncomfortably cold. For a large room you might need a 14 deg. 5 blade fan, like Casablanca makes. Not cheap but worth it and they only need two wires with the intellitouch control. Cheap fans are, well... cheap. If I were doing mine over again, I would also wire in an extra thermostat wire, just in case it proved impossible to balance the heating/cooling in your new addition, which is very common. You could then easily install a separate zone after the fact (hot air or water heat). More info here:

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC