> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Here We Go ...
Login | Register

Here We Go ...

Posted by Jay J on May 1st, 1998 03:46 PM
In reply to clarification by Michael Carroll on May 1st, 1998 02:57 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

I haven't heard of Le Clerc but they do exist along with some other obscure manufacturers such as Trevor and South African Hardwood. This implies that before you buy, I'd do more research into the manufacturer. Also, I'd ask the retailer to see if he can give you a couple of recent, and past, references to go look at installations. IMO, unless the name is trusted, you've got to look more.

Contrary to what you think in terms of pre-fabbed flooring, the manufacturer can create ideal conditions for staining and curing 7 coats of polyurethane. You can't do that in the home. This is a good thing. In fact, most manufacturers warranty their pre-fabbed floor for up to 5 years! I don't think you'll find a professional installer of traditional, unfinished hardwood give a 5 year guarantee on 7 coats of polyurthane. This is NOT a dig because, justifiably, it's tough to do under not-so-ideal conditions in the home. A down-side to pre-fabbed flooring is you're limited to your selection of stain. Sorry, but you'll have to live with this one.

If your Le Clerc is 80% the cost of traditional, unfinished hardwood, you need to add the finishing costs in too. When you do this, your 80% savings comes to like 60%! True, you won't have the smell of urethane when you install a pre-fabbed hardwood floor but you will have the glue smell because, well, you have to use some glue (right? or am I missing something). Neither here nor there, this is OK. As far as the 'bevel' in the wood, traditionally, there are 2 types of edges. There's the Squared edge and there's the Eased edge. Yours is the latter. One edge of the plank is 'rounded'. As far as dirt getting into the grooves, I don't think that should be much of a worry. You'll be more upset at how quickly your 'finish' is wearing out than trying to get out small bits of dirt in the 'grooves'. Heck, you walk on the floor. You don't sleep on it nor do you eat on it. IMO, go with what you like.

Here is an informative WEB site that may prove useful before you buy. It's Floor Search. There's lots of good info for you. Best to ya and if you get an extra minute, post a follow-up (or e-mail me directly) with your decision and how you picked your choice. I'd like to hear from ya. :)

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC