> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Here's what I do
Login | Register

Here's what I do

Posted by Sean on April 12th, 2001 08:48 AM
In reply to wainscot by robert on April 11th, 2001 03:31 PM [Go to top of thread]

Go down to Kent or drop by Chester Dawe (no relation) and pick up some of the beaded pine in the 8' lengths. It comes in a package that covers about 14 sq foot and sells for around 12.00 each. Make sure that you have a good look at what you are buying - pay particular attention the edges to make sure there are as few knots as possible.

Next buy some Zinsser stain kiler - it is a shellac-based product that is pigmented white. Two coats of this will prevent any fresh knots from bleeding through your paint. Then paint as required.

I used this pine on my ceilings and some wainscotting in the bathroom and as the doors in my kitchen cabinets (all painted white). I used the Zinsser in all applciations and never had a problem.

Suprisingly, a few good coats of paint will effectively make anything but the biggest knots disappear. A quick rub over with latex wood filler will help smooth over the real big knots.

Hope this helps.

Sean D.

Also, hopelessly lost in the snow. (Over 600 cm this winter - a 119 year old record. That's almost 20 feet of snow for those still using the imperical sytem.)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC