> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > here is what I do
Login | Register

here is what I do

Posted by Moderator, Steve on March 3rd, 2003 11:20 AM
In reply to Deck Board Spacing by Scott K. in WV on March 3rd, 2003 07:40 AM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

On Pressure Treated wood, this applies to 2x6's more than that 5/4 wood. There was the idea that its good to use a 16D nail as your spacer when butting up decking. When dried, especially in hot climates like mine, that will yield about alittle less than 1/2 inch space.

I feel and many others that I have discussed this with, this is too much. Most now will butt up tight and then you will get about a 1/4 inch after drying. This is acceptable.

But, when building a deck in the fall or winter, I tell the customers that they will not get that spacing until two months into the summer. PT wood will not dry or shrink during most fall, winter, spring seasons.

Now 5/4 will shrink even more, so I would definatelly butt that material.

As you probably know its ideal to place decking on the floor joists with growth rings in a downward cup design. This will reduce cupping and ponding of water within a board and also splitting and other defects. You can not always accomplish this task as the good side may be full of knots, but only a rule of thumb.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC