> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Help! My city inspectors are dinking me around!
Login | Register

Help! My city inspectors are dinking me around!

Posted by Bob D on September 25th, 2001 11:33 AM

Hi All,

I was hoping somebody in here with building experience could give me some advice on what to do with these city electrical inspectors that keep red tagging me. I have built my own house and hired a licensed electrician to do the electrical for me. The framing inspector knew that I had framed the house myself (which I legally can) so he told the electrical inspector that I might be doing the electrical myself (which I can't). So during the rough electrical inspection I was red tagged 4 times. I endured the setbacks and my electrician finally got that passed. Now I am trying to get my final electrical approval and I have been red taged 3 times so far.

The thing that really pisses me off is that the first red tag had 4 items on it. We fixed the 4 things the way the first electrical inspector told us to and then we get a different inspector (4 days after we request a reinspection) and he interprets the code a little different and says that 2 of the original 4 items are not done right...PLUS he adds another item! The third inspection was then done by the ORIGINAL inspector and now he adds 2 more things! This tag teaming, different interpretation mess could concievably go on forever while I get charged $35 per reinspection. Plus I am trying to close on my mortgage tomorrow and the electrical approval is all that I am waiting on.

My questions are these:
1) Shouldn't they have all the violations on the first red tag? Can they actually keep looking and finding new small violations to write up?
2) I had heard that they have 48 hours from the time of the inspection request to inspect but I can't find the rule in print anywhere. They took 4 buisness days for the first reinspection, does this void their right to keep violations open?

I am hesitant to go over their heads and really piss them off, but it seems I may have that situation for some reason already.

I guess I'm ready to start playing hard ball with these guys...any additional ideas??? I am a really reasonable guy but this is rediculous!

Boiling over Bob

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC