> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > HELP! Deadbolt Lock Installation...
Login | Register

HELP! Deadbolt Lock Installation...

Posted by Deanna on February 10th, 2001 02:02 PM

Moderator Post (s) for this thread:
> Removing a Medeco Lock by Handyman on 07/27/2007

Darn it! I'm trying to get this deadbolt lock installed today. Seems like I've been reading instructions for days. (Well, I have!)

Put the template on the door, measured to match the door knob measurement (how far back from the edge). I noticed there is a little "plate" in the door jamb covering up a pre-drilled spot for a latch. So I match the height of my template to this pre-drilled latch and punch a tiny hole to use as a pilot for my drill.

Then, back to the instructions...they then tell me it should be only 4" center to center above the doorknob. Well, unfortunately the tiny pilot hole I just punched in my STEEL door is approx. 12" above the door handle!

Any suggestions? 4" center to center seems very close. Even 6" seems close! But, I want to do this right or it's all in vain.

Any suggestions? Should I just punch another pilot 6" above the doorknob and worry about patching (plugging?) that tiny hole later?

Of course this means I will not be using the pre-drilled hole for the latch in the door jamb, but I suppose that's okay.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC