The advice you got from the other guys is pretty good, but if your condo was built before 1980, there is a very good chance you have asbestos in your popcorn ceiling. To be sure, take a very small sample of it in a plastic baggy to your local health department and ask to have it tested. If it is asbestos, there are only two people who can legally touch the stuff. You, the homeowner, or a professionally licensed asbestos abatement crew. Even if you decide to do it yourself, which I wouldn't recommend, there are very strict guidelines regarding the removal of asbestos ceilings. You have a couple of options. You can encapsulate it with a thick coat of latex paint and live with the popcorn. (This wins on money terms!) You can install a 1/4" layer of drywall right over the top of your existing ceiling and tape and mud from scratch. (More expensive than the paint suggestion, but not as bad as abatement!) You can abate the asbestos professionally, which will run somewhere in the neighborhood of Park Place and Boardwalk, which is a very nice neighborhood! (@$5,000, depending on how much of it you have to do.) Don't do anything until you know for sure.