> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Hello Herrick
Login | Register

Hello Herrick

Posted by Bruce M on February 20th, 1998 08:02 PM
In reply to I Have cabinet refacing answers by Herrick Kimball on February 18th, 1998 10:47 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hey Herrick
Good to see you over hear!
Nice article in this month's Fine Homebuilding. Can't say I've ever built countertops that way....but interesting and a definitely good read! I particularly liked your idea of how to flat sand the edge of the counter top using the angle iron assmebly. Just when I thought I knew everything there is to know....... (smile)

Since I've got you here, thought I might ask a question.

The last couple of C-Tops I've built, I've attached 3/4" X 1 1/2" hardwood (maple, cherry and match the cabinets) to the front edge of the countertop deck, securing with bisquits and waterproof glue, then sanding flush with that top, apply the laminate over the edge of that (with water based contact cement), then route with a 45 degree bevel. The rounter bit's ball-bearing guide is tracking against the edge of the very smooth and flat hardwood edgeing, giving a nice clean cut line on the Formica. Results come out great, but I've worried that the exposed edge of the laminate will be at higher risk for delamination than the traditional laminate front edge that covers the top exposed edge (I hope this makes sense). So far, no problems. In fact, I sealed that edge with 3 coats of satin polyurethane. Any experience with how these edges hold up over time? Is this a situation where you would use the yellow glue on the outer 2" of the countertop instead of the contacct cement?

Love your work, Herrick. Please keep it coming, and I'm sure the regulars at this site will much appreciate your advice....particularly me!! (smile)

See ya

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC