> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Hello Deanna...
Login | Register

Hello Deanna...

Posted by Steve: on February 6th, 2001 11:17 AM
In reply to Installing a Deadbolt Lock.... by Deanna on February 6th, 2001 10:31 AM [Go to top of thread]

I have a few things to add that will help you.

1) Make sure that you round hole saw is for metal cutting. Most are for wood only. Deanna, with your template, line it up carefully and according to directions, make sure that your new dead bolt lock is not interfering with your storm door handle when both are closed. If you drill your deadbolt lock by accident in the same location as your storm door handle, they will hit and not get a full closure.

2) When your template is attached, then get a punch and dimple the spot to drill so that you drill bit will not walk around. Then drill all the way through enough for the drill bit to indent the opposite side. This way you know where to drill exactly on the other side.
Using the template on the other side could allow for a small degree of error and your holes not align exactly. Once the protrusion has occured on the other side then flatten out the area with a hammer and drill in that spot.

3) Once the hole has been cleanly drilled out, be careful around the hole as the metal will have burs on it and will cut big time. Get a small rat tail file and clean up the edges.

4) Drill the hole in the side of the door with a paddle bit the size required. I usually find that if I extend the hole and drill just a bit through the hole and into the other side of the door for the mechanism to extend in if necessary.

5) do your mortising with a sharp wood chisel to indent the plates nicely in the side of the door. Be careful not to chip the wood going down the vertical sides of the wood when you're going with the grain.

6) On the door jamb side, drill your corresponding hole for the throw to go into and allow some room all around for settling. I would throw away the screws that come with the kit that go into the jamb side. They are not long enough. I always use a pan head two inch or longer screw so that my screw is going into the nearby 2 x 4 member for added security.

7) lastly buy not leastly, measure twice and drill once. one miss drilled hole ruins your plans and cannot be properly fixed especially in a metal skinned door.

8) I almost forgot, when drilling the large hole with your drill, when you are almost through, hold that drill with both hands because sometimes in metal it will torgue wildely and twist you around in a violently mode. Be ready for this.

Good Luck

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC