> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > heating duct to bathroom
Login | Register

heating duct to bathroom

Posted by Beth on November 10th, 2002 01:57 PM

I had asked a question regarding this a few days ago, but what turned out to be a simple job (in my opinion) is turning into something much worse!!

Here we go - My house was built in 1947, and I have the heat register covers that look like a big square and are wider at the bottom than the top. They stick out about 2 inches on the bottom and maybe an inch on the top. In fact, they resemble a fireplace damper. Hope you can picture this. Anyway, I wanted to reduce the size of the cover in my bathroom from 12" by 12" and make it 4" by 10", positioning it further above the floor and using a more modern cover. I took off the register cover and the duct boot only to find out that about 2 inches of my floor has been cut away to accomdate the register cover. With me so far? The new duct boot that I purchased will not fit into the 4" space that's between the bathroom wall and the wall of the other room. I'm not too worried about the part of the floor that has been cut away since I'm having a new sub floor installed. I believe I will have to replace part of the duct work to make it slimmer. I guess my only option would be to visit a sheet metal shop and ask if they could replace that part or rig something up that works. I would appreciate any ideas that you could come up with before I really destroy my bathroom!! Thank you =)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC