> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Heat Pump problem
Login | Register

Heat Pump problem

Posted by Dave Seifert on February 26th, 2003 10:36 AM
In reply to Heat Pump Replacement by Jim Cox on February 5th, 2003 07:36 PM [Go to top of thread]

I have a 3 ton 10 year old Carrier heat pump that is slowly leaking freon from the evaporator coil in the inside air handler; , it is a split system with the compressor/ac unit outside my house. The coil can't be welded due to its aluminum construction(piss poor design). To replace this coil, Carrier is the only one who sells the replacement from what I'm told and it sells for around $700-$800. An entire new coil and air handler system by Carrier is about $1100. I found someone who will install a new copper coiled Janitrol air handler with emergency heat strips etc. for around $900. It seems like a no brainer considering a 5 yr. parts warranty and 1 yr. labor. I asked the dealer about Janitrols suspect reputation in the industry compared to Trane,etc. and his reply was that when it craps out he has to come out and fix it for free so why would he install "junk".Odd choice of words since I've heard Janitrol referred to as "Junkatrol". He says that they use the same major parts as the others, its a simpler design, you're just not paying for the name and marketing, which makes sense to me. Any input from KNOWLEDGEBLE owners,techs,salesmen,etc. would be appreciated.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC