> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > He's Right ...
Login | Register

He's Right ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on April 11th, 2001 01:23 PM
In reply to Water everywhere//// by Steve: on April 11th, 2001 11:25 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi LR,

Steve:'s is right. Every Fall, drain the line. Usually, there's a shut-off inside the house along the 'path' of the line that feeds the spiggot in question. Hopefully, there's a drain cap on it which allows you to drain the water out when the shut-off (in the house) is OFF. Leave the spiggot OPEN outside about 1/3rd of the way to allow the water to drain out and allow for some 'movement' of water should what little there is in there happen to freeze.

I, personally, have 12" Anti-siphon spiggots. You see, this type of spiggot has its 'plug' INSIDE the house; not outside (as with most 'common' spiggots.) Because it's inside the house, there's no water to freeze when the spiggot is turned off in the Fall. Yes, I STILL have a shut-off on the line in the basement with a drain-valve, and I still drain the line. I guess since I have that too I still want to use it. My 12" spiggot cost $14 at Home Depot. That's cheap considering my deductible for water damage is $250 on my Homeowners!

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: If the waterline going outside is in an 'uphill' position, then water won't properly drain UNLESS 1) you have a drain valve on your INDOOR shut-off, and 2) you leave the OUTDOOR spiggot 1/3rd open to allow the water to drain out. IF you have an 'uphill' line, and can't properly drain the line, the water may FREEZE and burst the pipe. (In short, you don't want water in the line in Winter!)
PPS: Also, disconnect your hose(s) from the spiggot, and drain them. Simply 'lay it out' on a hill and let the water run out. Then, re-coil it back up and put it in the shed LAYING FLAT; NOT standing up. (IF you leave the hose coiled up AND standing up, excess water MAY run to the bottom-part of the coil, and freeze, thus ripping your hose.
PPPS: Oh, you could take a chance and use a Hose Repair Kit to 'fix' your busted hose, but I wouldn't. I'm sure the new one you buy won't take the same 'road' your existing one did ...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC