> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Have been doing the same thing
Login | Register

Have been doing the same thing

Posted by Angela on March 8th, 2001 07:27 AM
In reply to And When You're Finished Removing The Paper ... by Jay J -Modeator on March 7th, 2001 10:04 AM [Go to top of thread]

My house is also about 100 years old and I have a great deal of wallpaper that has been painted over and some has then been wallpapered over again. Some even had several repeat layers of paint and wallpaper. The biggest problem is that I never know what the walls are going to look like under the paper, but that's another subject altogether. DIF is definately the greatest product to use as everyone has said. I admit that I don't always use boiling hot water and have acceptable results, but it sounds as if I could have better results by reading the other responses. One thing that has really helped me is to try different tools to scrape off the paper. A narrow drywall taping tool-what is that called, is it a drywall knife...I don't know it is very early here. Anyway one of those makes a great scraper because it is thin and gets under the paper really well, but not so thin that it tends to gouge your wall so much. But still be careful. I have tried every technique in the book and switch between different tools to see what works best on certain walls, because I have found that mine sometimes have very different reactions. In one of my rooms, someone actually went to the trouble of removing most of the wallpaper, but apparently didn't know what they were doing since they left huge patches of it in places. They just painted over the whole thing, large patches and all! With semigloss! Talk about standing out like a sore thumb. But that was the best looking set of walls in the house, so the rest are even worse. Good luck, I know how frustrating old houses can be, but they are so worth every bit of trouble.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC