> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Hardwood Horror!
Login | Register

Hardwood Horror!

Posted by Sue on August 25th, 2000 05:48 PM

I don't know where to begin! We have determined that the
previous owner rented this home for 7 or 8 years to someone who let massive numbers of pets run wild.
The floor was dry when we moved in, but after installing a swamp cooler, the entire livingroom and hall are saturated!

A plumber has said he cannot find a leak anywhere, and is about to drill up our cement slab in the kitchen looking for
a leak in the drain down there. The rest of the house is raised on joists about 1.5 ft, and it is bone dry down there.
Not a drip of water anwhere!

Is it possible that the salt in urine could suck that much water out of the air? There were faint stains visible
(underneath all the spilled latex) but nothing that gave us any clue to expect this! No odor?! It is 1947 oak, and my
heart is just broken because the remaining wood has such a beautiful burl. Once it's been this wet, is it possible to save?
If it was that soaked with old urine, is it beyond help? Ugh! What else could it be?

If one runs a swamp cooler in a room with unfinished wood, will it absorb water from the air on its own? After it dries can
I still refinish it, with some bleach, or will it just absorb the water again anyway?
WOW! I'm stunned. Of course the floor store says replace the whole thing...

Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks for any info!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC