> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Hardwood Floors!
Login | Register

Hardwood Floors!

Posted by Zack Feller on May 18th, 2000 07:47 AM
In reply to Refinishing by Tim Jarrett on August 5th, 1999 12:01 AM [Go to top of thread]

I am hoping someone can help me with my quesiton! We purchased a home built in '48 and have found that the condition of the hardwood floors underneath the carpet are in great condition. There are a couple of dings here and there and one or two scrapes but aside from that they look great. I don't think they have ever been varnished or stained. We want to finish them and just apply a coat of varnish.

How do you know if we need to rent a sander and sand the entire floor? I read something about "screening " the floor. I am difinitely not too proud to say I've never done this and know next to nothing about it!! The surface is fairly smooth but I am assuming you need it perfect before you apply the varnish. What is the best way to fill any digs or scrapes?? (I'm guessing putty and sand it down??) What type of varnish is best and how many coats? Hopefully you can help me! Also, can you recommend any websites or library books that may help? Thanks again!
Zack Feller

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC