renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Hardwood floor stains
Login | Register

Hardwood floor stains

Posted by Jo Powers on April 21st, 2001 04:30 PM
In reply to Floor stains by Henry in MI on December 15th, 1999 07:32 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi! I ripped up the shad on my hardwood floors and refinished them with a mixture of 50% boiled linseed oil and 50% turpentine -- HIGHLY FLAMMABLE -- CAN'T USE AROUND HEAT OR PILOT, NEED RESPIRATOR AND MUST LET PAPER TOWELS AND STEEL WOOL DRY OUT COMPLETELY OR IT WILL IGNITE! BELIEVE ME IT HAPPENED. However, I sanded the pet urine stained areas with a hand sander and then applied this 50/50 solution I mixed in A JAR, (DON'T USE METAL) AND APPLIED WITH PLAIN STEEL WOOL FROM A HARDWARE STORE. THEN I WIPED UP THE MUCK WITH PAPER TOWELS. IT'S AMAZING HOW IT WORKS, BUT AS I SAID I LET THE TOWELS/STEEL WOOL DRY OUT FOR SEVERAL DAYS ON THE OPEN AIR LAWN. EVERYONE THINKS MY FLOORS ARE BEAUTIFUL, THOUGH I STILL SEE SOME MARKS AND THE NAIL MARKS FROM THE BORDERS OF CARPET AT ROOM ENTRANCES WAS REALLY HARD TO SAND AND LIGHTEN . THE MARKS GIVE CHARACTER WITH THE DARK STAIN I USED. IT'S PRETY GOOD AND COST ME ONLY $125 TO DO INSTEAD OF $2-3,000. GOOD LUCK!

JO

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC