> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Hardwood Floor refinishing
Login | Register

Hardwood Floor refinishing

Posted by Erin Benington on August 17th, 2000 09:55 PM

We are about to have our floors refinished in a house we just moved into.

The kitchen and family room floors are only 5 years old and are in terrible condition from wear. The living room and dining room floors are from 1924, but are in reasonable condition.

Should we have the entire area done, or just the part that needs to be redone (there is only one area where there isn't a natural break in the floors where it might be obvious) We have a lot of furniture and I'm not sure where we would put it if we had the whole floor done.

Also, do we go with water based (I saw on one Web site that this finish may not wear as well and could cause an allergic reaction - we have a 10 month old baby), oil based (can't put rugs down for a longer period of time and the smell is awful). We also have a dog and I heard about a commercial finish that has some type of additional adhesive which wears really well. I was told this gives more of a matte finish and I'm not sure how that would look if we didn't do the whole house.

Would appreciate any advice. I know nothing about finishes except that our current one is in bad shape. We are planning to have a professional do the job, were just not sure what to ask for.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC