> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Hard To Say ...
Login | Register

Hard To Say ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on August 3rd, 2001 08:57 AM
In reply to repair or replace????????? by chris on August 2nd, 2001 07:42 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Chris,

I'd say that drywall vs. plaster is a tough call. To give extreme examples. If your home is 'revolutionary', I'd think that a buyer looking for that type of home would want the 'character' of plaster to be preserved. Then, on the other hand, a buyer looking for a more contemporary home in a revolutionary setting would 'prefer' drywall. I think it's a call you'll have to make by doing your own thinking and research. Drywall has its merits when you compare it, strictly, to plaster. But your question goes beyond the immediate benefits that drywall posesses.

Now, about that wiring, you should be able to run your wiring from either below or above. You can take advantage of any air duct cavities you have or vent/stack pipe cavities, an attic, a crawlspace, closets, and more to get your wiring where you need it to go. Yes, plaster and lath do make it hard to fish wire but that's what Electrician's Fish Wire and Plaster Repair Kits are for.

You should consider hiring a Pro to run the wire (or at least get an estimate for it) to see if it's worth your time. He can even hook it up to the breaker box. You can do the 'finish' work. I guess this would bring up a few other questions like: Is your home's wiring 'updated' (where every fixture and outlet is grounded with a TRUE ground wire)? Do you have enough AMP service into the house? Is your breaker box 'safe'? Are any breakers in the box doubled-up, or even tripled-up??? These are just some thoughts I have in the bigger picture.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC