> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > H2O-stone foundation/cement foundation
Login | Register

H2O-stone foundation/cement foundation

Posted by M. Fay on December 15th, 2002 03:02 PM

Of recently, I've had the opportunity(?) to purchase an 1820's farmhouse in VT climate.

There is three distinct cavitities, all of which have a dirt floor.

1) Stone foundation on ledge with varied standing hgth of 3'-5' w/ no water bleeding H2O through stones.

2) Stone foundation w/ H2O bleeding through stones, poorly placed sump pump with standing H20.

3) Cement block foundation (3' crawl) with dampnes seepage on blocks.

First or foremost, It's been recommended to correct draingage & orientation of sump pump...which I can understand.

Secondly to to attach 6'' mill plastic to foundation sill plates run down along foundation wall onto floor & overalapping each joint by 2'& tapping joints. My concern is, if I attach barrier to sill plates, do I need to some how seal sill plates so they are not exposed to moisture condensation.

And if draping the polly along foundation walls is thought of as not effective, how may I prevent the bleeding H2O from settling on top of plastic??

Is ventilaion harmful?? Does is it create additional moisture buildup. I was told the only fresh air I need, assuming radon is not an issue, is to feed boiler requirements.

Any assistance would be helpfull. I really need to get rid of moisture.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC