> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Gutters
Login | Register

Posted by Henry in MI on October 17th, 1998 12:03 PM
In reply to GUTTERS AND DOWNSPOUTS by BOUTTE on October 17th, 1998 11:08 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Boutte. First, PLEASE DON'T YELL. The caps indicate yelling and offend my tender sensibilities.

Gutters are actually a pretty easy job on a one story house. Your confidence at working from ladders determines whether you should attempt a two story house. Many home centers have classes on this subject and a big part of the cost is in labor. So, if you are moderately handy, doing it yourself can be both a big money saver and an extra source of pride in your home.

The one problem that I see is the length of the run. Gutters should be pitched down at 1/8" per foot. With an 80 foot run, this totals 10 inches. Even if you start to pitch down from the center of the run to downspouts on both ends, you need a 5 inch drop on each end. This might be wider than your fascia board. I would take a dimensioned sketch of your house, or even better, a photo to the home center and ask them if they note a place where it is logical that you put a third downspout in the center.

As to aluminum versus vinyl, I recently replaced some aluminum on a friend's house. The aluminum sold today is tough to work with, due to its thickness and flexibility. However, it can be painted, should you wish to in the future. I would definately consider the vinyl for a first time job. I would also think about screening the gutters to keep out leaves and other trash while you are doing it. Hope this helps and have fun doing it. :o)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC