> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Guess What ...
Login | Register

Guess What ...

Posted by Jay J on July 31st, 2000 12:10 PM
In reply to downspout by bc on July 31st, 2000 09:55 AM [Go to top of thread]

Just for grins, here's the background ...

For the LONGEST time, I had no idea where the water was coming from. Yes, I should have known better that water flows downhill. (sic) But, for some unknown reason, I didn't put the 2 together. You see, behind my 'uphill' neighbor, is an apartment complex. And I 'thought' that the reason I was getting so much water was because the spillway between 'it' and 'us' was overflowing. (As it turns out, that was a BAD thought/assumption.)

Anyways, I dug and drained as much as I could to get rid of the water I was getting. (The apartment complex owner has enought leans on his property that my Township had no success in getting them to clean out the spillway.) BUT, when it rains so heavily, as you may have seen just this past weekend in Bucks County, PA, we got a LOT of rain. (Delaware County is right-next-door to Bucks County, here, in SE PA.) We got 5.5" of rain; Bucks got 7". The story made the National News! It's these rare occasions that over-work my 'system'. Soooo, this past June, when the power went out, while I was manually bailing out the window well, I actually got a GOOD view of where all the water was coming from. You see, I'd only get water from my neighbor's lot AFTER his property gets water-logged. (This doesn't happen on a 'normal' rain.) After that, it would fill and run onto my lot. I never saw this happen before, nor did I envision it, until this past June's storm. I got to see it, first hand, while it rained cats and dogs (back in June.)

At our block party in late June, after my neighbor had a few beers, I approached him. We're on very, VERY good terms as neighbors so as I started to say, "I hear you guys are getting the house vinyl-sided." "Yes!" they said. To which I said, "I was wondering if I could HELP YOU - HELP ME." "Sure! What's up?", they asked. I said to them, "You know the downspout that's on 'my' side of your house, well, ..." At this point, they interruped me and said, "We're moving it to the other side of the house, along with the one that empties onto the driveway. In winter, the driveway is a skating rink! And the yard is a mess too!" I said, "You guys, I love ya man! Can I 'work' w/you on that?" "As a matter of fact, we were gonna ask you if we could solicit your advice", they said. I was in heaven! The only thing is that, in the meantime, I may have to wait until Fall for the work to begin. They haven't got bids yet but they DO want their house sided.

I hear ya, bc, I was gonna practice what I preach once I realized where all the water was coming from. I'm a firm believer that it can pay to be neighborly. I had every intention of offering to pay for the downspout 'extensions' and do whatever grading/trenchwork that was needed. I believe the cost to me would have been about $20 and a bit of a sore back, and we'd still be neighbors. Once again, your advice is excellent.

When a 'similiar' post comes up after their house is sided, I'll make mention how the 'move' went. Thanks for the help.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC