> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Grounded receptacles
Login | Register

Grounded receptacles

Posted by CHOLE4ELECTRIC on January 11th, 2000 08:34 PM
In reply to How can I convert an older two-slot electrical receptacle to the three-slot grounded type? by Andre on January 11th, 2000 08:12 PM [Go to top of thread]

Dear Andre:
A novice can indeed replace a two prong receptacle with a three prong one.
First you have to make sure that you have somekind of ground at the box. Like the jacket of the cable is it metal? If so thats great, just take out the old one ( AFTER YOU SHUT THE POWER OFF ) that proceed to attach a piece of copper wire to the box and then to the ground screw of the receptacle.
If the jacket of the cable isn't metal you can fish a single conductor up thru the wall and into the box and attach it to the ground screw of the three prong receptacle and then securely attach the other end to a plumbing pipe.
One other way is to find the very first receptacle in the circuit and replace it with a GFCI ( Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter ) and then place all the other receptacles down stream on the load side of the GFCI.and then you can replace all those receptacles with three prong ones.
Good luck .... and be sure the power is off

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC