> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > ground moisture entering crawlspace
Login | Register

ground moisture entering crawlspace

Posted by td on November 13th, 2000 09:04 AM

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Is it possible that the ground moisture is entering my crawlspace? The reason is last summer I dug about a 32inch hole and the next day it was full of water. I have plastic covering the ground in the crawlspace, foundation blocks are water proofed, gutters look good and I don't think there is any plumbing leaks. But, the lowest point in the crawlspace is under my family room and under the plastic it is more wet/damp than the rest of the crawlspace, but no standing water. I know that if I dig another hole that deep next the foundation that it will be full of water again probably within a half of a day. The ground is clay and the moisture is entering my house, how, I don't know. The vinyle flooring in my house is very cold and the carpet in the house is a little damp, not a lot though but you can tell the difference. Does anyone know if I dig a hole the depth of the foundation either in my crawlspace or outside of my crawlspace put a sump pump down there and leave it, insulate my floors with R-19 insulation and staple 6 mill plastic under the floor joists instead of covering the ground with plastic. By doing the plastic this way will it dry and keep my crawlspace dirt floor dry? Will this procedure work? I have been trying diffent things to help this problem. I do have a dehumidifier but I don't like running it 20 hours of the day. Also, my whole house is electric ceiling heat. If anyone has any ideas or suggestion it will be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC