> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Gotcha ...
Login | Register

Gotcha ...

Posted by Jay J on October 15th, 1999 03:35 PM
In reply to Hi Jay by D.L. on October 15th, 1999 02:27 PM [Go to top of thread]

What I suggested MAY be usable for a 1-1/2" piece of pipe. BUT, then again, maybe not because what I'm referring to is used with 1/2" copper tubing, maybe even 3/4". You never know. There MAy be something similiar to this for 1-1/2". NOW, if that idea falls through, I'm sure you know about the insulation tubing that's used for copper piping. It's that poly-something insulation that you slip over your hot water pipes in an unheated basement. (The Plumbing Section or maybe even the Hardware Section in the Home Center stocks it.) Maybe working w/that is something to try.

As for what to do to keep the PVC from 'moving around' once you're finished, you can use 1-1/2" copper brackets. You'll find them in the Plumbing Section in the Home Centers. They're half-moon in shape and slip right over the PVC. (Normally, they're for bracing copper tubing but I just used them to secure 3/4" brackets to secure some 3/4" PVC to the underside of a roof. (I'll spare you that project.)) Anyway, you may have to drill into the brick/morter to brace it. I'd definitely put in 1 brace, preferably closest to where the PVC goes outside. This way, you'll prevent the pipe's movement most-closest to the window, and is preferred because you'll be caulking too. Walk to the Hardware Section of the Home Center and just tell them what you're doing and they'll get you the right morter screws. Make sure they fit through your bracket, and buy a couple of washers for the screws too. If you don't do this, there may be some 'vibration/movement' of the PVC where you've installed the bracket, and you may have some scary, vibration noise when water is pumped out. The washers allow you to give the screws an extra 1/2 turn up against the wall which you wouldn't be able to do w/o the washers. Heck, take a small piece of that copper pipe insulation (if possible) and put a piece BETWEEN the wall the the PVC, and tighten the screws with THAT in there.

If I've confused you or you need more, e-mail me directly or post another Follow-up. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC