> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Good Question ...
Login | Register

Good Question ...

Posted by Jay J on June 7th, 2000 08:48 AM
In reply to should I use Black top driveway sealer on new recycled asphalt by Willem van Es on June 7th, 2000 08:12 AM [Go to top of thread]

2 of 5 people found this post helpful

I can't say what needs to be done to 'maintain' your driveway but have you asked your contractor? They should know.

For a standard, asphalt driveway, it's recommend that you wait 1 year before you seal it. This way, the asphalt has a chance to go through all the seasons. Once you seal it a year later, you only seal it when the white of the stone is showing through. If you do it 'just anytime', after too many topcoats, you'll start to track it into the house! The driveway is going to crack and split and such for whatever reason. Just do periodic maintenance to it. The ONLY benefit IMO to sealing a driveway on a 'regular basis' is that it LOOKS good. That's all. It doesn't do ANYTHING in terms of maintenance. You don't eat on your driveway, you don't sleep on it, you don't entertain your guests on it. You park your dirty, grundgy cars on it where they leave behind things like oil, transmission fluid, road salt, and so on. Soooo, don't treat your driveway like it's your Dining Room.

There are a couple of 'other guys' that want to do what you want to do. Perhaps you ought to 'hook up' w/them and exchange info. Their e-mail addresses are attached to the following Post: Ground Asphalt I'm sure they'd be happy to hear from ya.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC