> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Good Points, And More ...
Login | Register

Good Points, And More ...

Posted by Jay J on August 23rd, 2000 07:48 AM
In reply to vapor barrier by Budda on August 22nd, 2000 10:35 PM [Go to top of thread]

A recent issue of Fine Homebuilding Magazine says not to use a vapor barrier. Instead, in short, they suggest that the moisture (if any) be allowed INTO the finished room via a few vents, and that the finished basement be incorporated with a dehumidifier. The process recommends building the studded walls a short 'distance' away from the basement walls (to create an airpocket, of sorts), whereas the moisture can rise up to the vents and removed from the room via the dehumidifier. I like the idea, assuming your plans for the finished basement can accommodate about 3" less, in size, on each of the 4 sides.

At the same time, I agree w/Bubba on potentially having 2 vapor barriers (assuming you install on now.) And I also agree that you need to itemize what the material and labor costs will be to finish the basement. If it costs $4,000 for the job, you want to get MORE than that back; not the same amount. (If it were the same amount, why do it?) I say don't finish the basement. Just clean it up REAL well so potential homeowners can see the POTENTIAL of the basement. FWIW, I have an unfinished basement. I also don't have a garage! So guess where a lot of 'stuff' goes??! If the basement were finished, I probably wouldn't have bought the place. We even went from an 8' x 10' shed to a 12' x 16' shed, and have outgrown that too! So, you see, unless your Realtor is buying your house, and guaranteeing you more than $4,000 (in my example), I wouldn't do it. Besides, who's to say that the 'way' you finish it is the way a potential buyer would want it finished?

I think the 'better' selling point is the 'potential' for the basement; not a finished one. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC