> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Good Point, And More ...
Login | Register

Good Point, And More ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on May 23rd, 2001 11:28 AM
In reply to Carpeting and Paint by BobB on May 23rd, 2001 09:11 AM [Go to top of thread]

Bob brings up a good point. In fact, I went through this w/our installers. However, they DIDN'T tell me to hold off on installing the trim until AFTER the carpeting was in.

So, I 'complained' to our Retailer that the Installers 'knicked' the heck out of my baseboard trim! It was stained and finished w/poly. The only way to fix it was to sand and poly it again. (I opted not to do it because, really, you had to bend down a bit to see it. BUT, painted trim may be different ...) In any event, I told him I didn't want 'them' to come back again. He complied and sent a MUCH better team for doing the rest of the house. Soooo, where am I headed???

The Retailer told me there's a tool called a Tuck Tool. It allows the Installer to set the carpet under the trim (and onto the Tack Strips) W/O damaging the trim. In short, he did say you can install the trim BEFORE the carpet goes in. Please, I'm not saying 'anyone' here is wrong - All I'm saying is that it looks to me as though 1 'team' can do it but another team can't. (Go figure.) So, on the advice and assurance of our Retailer that the 2nd team won't damage the trim, I left the trim installed, and all went just fine.

One small note - The trim has to be installed 1/2" ABOVE the floor. IF you install it on the floor, then, when they go to install the carpet, I'm SURE they'll damage the trim. All I did was cut some 1/2" blocks of wood on which I set the trim and nailed. The 1/2" allows for the Tack Strip and carpeting to go UNDER the trim.

No, BobB, it's CERTAINLY fine to disagree. You make very valid points. I DO agree w/you with just a couple of caviates. And Berber is VERY abrasive! I would suspect that if the Installer isn't careful, he can scratch the trim even if it was an INCH off the floor! Everyone - Just beware.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC