renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > GOING GUTTERLESS ...
Login | Register

GOING GUTTERLESS ...

Posted by JAY J on March 21st, 2000 08:22 AM
In reply to DRIP by HERB on March 20th, 2000 09:18 PM [Go to top of thread]

HERB,

bc IS RIGHT. IF YOU LIVE IN TEXAS, YOU MAY BE ABLE TO GO GUTTERLESS.

YOUR SHINGLES NEED TO BE ABOUT 3/8" OVER THE EAVES. THIS HELPS IN PREVENTING WATER FROM GETTING TO THE EAVES AND IT ALLOWS THE GUTTERS TO FIT 'UNDER' THE ROOF A LITTLE. OBVIOUSLY, THIS IS WHAT WILL KEEP WATER IN THE GUTTER. SECONDLY, YOU MAY NEED DRIP EDGE. THERE ARE A PLETHORA OF TYPES SO BE SURE TO GET ONE FOR THE EAVES, AND FOR YOUR TYPE OF ROOF. THE DRIP EDGE SHOULD OVER-HANG INTO THE GUTTER.

LASTLY, IF YOU HAVE ALL THIS IN PLACE NOW, BE SURE YOUR GUTTERS AREN'T OVER-FLOWING. THAT WILL MOST LIKELY CAUSE WATER TO DRIP BETWEEN THE EAVES/FACIA AND THE GUTTER. BE SURE THE 'FLOW' OF WATER OUT THE DOWNSPOUT ADEQUATELY REFLECTS THE WATER VOLUME RUNNING OFF THE ROOF. YOU MAY NEED TO GET UP THERE ON A LADDER IN THE NEXT RAIN STORM. WATCH OUT FOR LIGHTENING AND THE SLIPPERY SPOTS! DRESS PROPERLY AND WEAR A WIDE-BRIMMED HAT. IT'S NOT SAFE TO CLIMB A LADDER WITH JUST ONE HAND IN THE RAIN. (SEE? NOW YOU CAN'T SUE ME ...)

OTHER THAN THAT, DOES READING THIS POST IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS GIVE YOU A HEADACHE?! IT GAVE ME ONE WRITING IT BUT MAYBE YOUR EYESIGHT IS GOING LIKE MINE. MY BEST TO YA AND HOPE THIS HELPS.

JAY J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

• DRIP by HERB  3/20/00 09:18 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC