The frequency of your pump cycles is dependent on a few basic factors:
1. How fast is the sump filling with water?
2. How fast does the pump empty the sump?
3. What is the setting on the pump to activate it turning on and turning off? (How high does the water get before the pump turns on, and how low does it get before the pump turns off?
The frequency of pump cycles can be adjusted by a couple of things:
1. Make the sump bigger (increase its capacity so the pump doesn't run many short cycles to keep a small sump empty.)
2. Make sure the pump EMPTIES the sump when it runs.
3. Give the sump a chance to fill up a bit before the pump activates again.
I don't know what your pump looks like to tell you how to adjust it. More information from you, and another posting from someone other than me who knows about sump pumps in more detail will confirm what I say here and help you more if you are still having trouble. A phone call to the manufacturer of your pump would also be an excellent idea. Call 1-800-555-1212 and ask for the toll-free number for the company that makes the pump.