> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Go get a construction lawyer...
Login | Register

Go get a construction lawyer...

Posted by Jim -ATS on June 2nd, 2000 12:10 PM
In reply to playing by bc on June 2nd, 2000 01:42 AM [Go to top of thread]

As a general contractor, I must say that you are diving into very murky waters where sharks fear to swim.

Subcontractors are infamous for over promising and under delivering. For doing just enough to get paid, and once they've been paid, not doing ANYTHING else. You need to learn about lein release documents.

The thing is, even if you can successfully "coordinate" the work, you have no real way of knowing whether the subs are performing their work according to your local building codes, according to the laws of physics, or to the laws of common sense. As a general contractor, I have an education and many years' experience behind "coordinating" the process, to make sure things not only get done, but done correctly.

It takes experience to know how to keep from having multiple subs trying to work in the same room at the same time, so that they don't conflict with each other. It takes knowledge to understand that your drain pipes take priority in routing over any and all other mechanical and electrical services.

It takes knowledge in construction law and contracts to avoid having leins placed against your home, to make sure that your subcontractors are complying with your agreements, and that you are able to effectively manage any change orders that occur during the process. (this is the attorney part)

There are several companies out there who will help you do these things, one that I am aware of is called "help u build". Their service is to help you learn the coordination aspects, provide you with lists of semi-reliable sub contractors, and assistance with contract management.

I went to school for 4 years and have a 35,000 student loan behind my "general contractor" title. This isn't really a weekend thing.

Not trying to scare you, but I want you to be aware...

Good luck!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC