> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > glue removal
Login | Register

glue removal

Posted by Eric on December 16th, 2002 07:10 PM
In reply to need help remove adhesive glue with cardboard from wood floor by William on February 18th, 2002 08:02 AM [Go to top of thread]

Im not sure what this will do to a finished surface, but I just stripped my entire bathroom floor (which previously had carpet glued to a 3/4" plywood base) with a 3:1 solution of Oxy-Clean:Water. I just mist sprayed the floor where the glue was until the floor had a layer of water on it so that it looked freshly waxed, and set back to watch. You can do this using Oxy-Clean because the smell won't kill you like all the other strippers and removers would if you stayed in the room.
After about 60 seconds you will notice a nice clean smell and then the glue will start to turn white and foamy. After about 3 minutes you're entire coverage area will be white and the room will still smell awesome.
Once this solution starts to dry a little bit just use a regular paint scraper (something with a handle) and scrape up the goo. Some of it may be sticky still so make sure you have plenty of paper towels on hand, just get as much as you can and spray again. This drying doesn't take very long, about an hour, for some reason(I'm guessing maybe it has something to do with the Oxy-Clean reacting with it and the glue, but don't quote me on that).
This won't get ALL the glue off but it will let you take the floor down to a smooth surface. I found out today that there really is no reason to remove all the glue, you just need a smooth surface to apply your new flooring to.

And contrary to popular belief...there is NO quick way to do this sort of thing. It doesn't matter if you spend 200$ on chemicals to help you, you are still going to have to get down on your hands and knees. If that's too much work for you then you need to hire some help.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC