> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Glazes
Login | Register

Posted by Bruce Ridenour on December 11th, 2001 09:01 AM
In reply to the glaze needed a clearcoat... by BobF on December 11th, 2001 07:00 AM [Go to top of thread]

The only expierence I have with Ralph Lauren, made me want to see to it that his genes were removed from the gene pool.

Your situation depends on the type of glazing you've used. All manufacturers have a different idea of how a glazing should be made and what it's properties should be. If I were you, I'd take some of your leftover materials and recreate your finish on a piece of scrap drywall or plywood or something like that. Then you can expirement with various adhesives without risking your walls. Give the glazing several days to dry before trying anything with it.

Borders generally require "Border Adhesive", this is an adhesive that will bond to a vinyl surface, but will also bond to just about everything else too. I use the stuff for about 3 dozen different purposes. Read the label on your particular border, as some will require V.O.V. adhesive, which is not the same thing. Border adhsive is use with borders that are pre-pasted, V.O.V is used with borders that have no pre-applied adhesive. Try to stick to pre-pasted. Trust me, V.O.V. can be a challenge to use.

As Bob said, sometimes you have to use some kind of clear sealer to protect the glazing, but sometimes the sealer will take away from the "texture" of the faux. I do one using tissue paper that looks much better without a sealer than with. I use Benjamin Moore's materials for this, and I can get anything to stick to it and don't have to use any sealers or varnishes. I also try to stick to alkyd and oils for this purpose, they're tougher and you have longer to work with them before they set up.

Hope that helps

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC