> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > glass
Login | Register

Posted by lara on March 15th, 2003 09:09 PM
In reply to etch by tomh on March 14th, 2003 10:12 PM [Go to top of thread]

My husband and I are glassblowers. We have been speculating on the so called etched glass syndrome and our theory is that the real problem is the heat. You see, glass becomes cloudy if it stays at a certain temp for too long when it is cooling down. A cloudy, as we call it, devitrified surface appears. A hot dishwasher is probably about the right heat to devitrify fine crystal and not your ordinary glasses because of the lead content which makes the crystal much clearer and softer and its melting temperture much lower. SO if you want to use your dishwasher for fine crystal you can really only safely do so if you can use it with no heat.
As for fixing your crystal glasses, I would guess that if you were able to bring them to the max dishwasher heat and then speedily make it through the dreaded devitrification point you would solve the problem. Maybe you could experiment with one glass and open the dishwasher breifly when it is finnished close it and then open it again, cooling but not too quickly. Good luck! I am sure someone is working on a product to solve this problem already.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC