> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Gladly !!!
Login | Register

Gladly !!!

Posted by Jay J on June 1st, 2000 01:10 PM
In reply to Paint on bricks by bruce on June 1st, 2000 12:27 PM [Go to top of thread]

First, whether it's painted brick that woes you or splashed paint on brick that woes you, in either case, the answer is: NOT that easy.

Those of us 'regulars' on this Forum (who, by the way, DON'T get paid for 'helping' people with their home-related problems/questions), would wish that those people with even a smidgen of paint on brick would 'ask' us this question BEFORE they buy the house. Why?! 'Cause our answer would be: DON'T buy the house! Even with splashed paint because it's a real pain in the butt to get off. (If at all ...)

To see what I/we mean, you have to understand how brick works in order to see that what you want to do is not very easy and not good-at-all for the brick. Check out this previous thread: It's OK To Dream .... There's some info that's related to your problem, among other things.

WHen you're done w/that, check this out (for your benefit and everyone elses'): 7 Rules Of Brick My best to ya and hope this helps.

You will find that my Follow-up is more 'wind' than wisdom. That's because, as I mentioned early on, the answer is not that easy. FWIW, on the route I drive to, and from, work, I'm watching a guy pains takingly remove the brick from his house. You know how he's doing it??! With DENTAL tools!!! I'll tell ya, it looks great and the brick isn't getting damaged. He is washing the brick AFTER the paint is removed but the stripper he's using escapes me at the moment. Perhaps if you contact a local Historical Society or Historical Restoration Society in your area, you'll get more info. My best to ya and hope this helps. Oh, this guy has been working on his house for 5+ years. (He bought the scaffolding because it was too costly to rent.)

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC