> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > GFIC Problem
Login | Register

GFIC Problem

Posted by Jim on January 18th, 2003 04:02 PM

I am having a problem with a GFIC circuit in my Kitchen. The GFIC outlet has quit working an I replaced it. I have it connected properly with the main circuit going into line and the load feeding the other outlets down the line. When I connected the new out let it did not work. I checked and reched my wiring, tightened everything and turned on the breaker and got nothing. I used a circuit tester and put it on the hot and the neutral and got nothing. I turned off the breaker and pulled the outlet off then tested just the wires with my circuit tester. It lit up. I checked hot to ground and it worked. Neutral to ground and it did not light up. I purchased another GFCI outlet thinking the one I had was bad. Connected everything again and it did not work. Let me say at this point that I have installed many outlets in my life and while I am not an electrician, I know that white goes to white and black to black and that black is supposed to be hot. With the GFCI outlet attached I decided to use my tester again. Hot to neutral, nothing, Hot to ground ok.....Neutral to ground and the tester lit up. I pulled it off the outlet again and tested neutral to ground and lit up. I am pretty sure that is not supposed to happen. I decided to put a switch in line instead on the outlet. Connected white to white and seperated the hot to the switch and every outlet downstream worked. HELP!!!!!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC